Label makers and small desktop printers are great for home-based businesses and individuals on a budget. Not only are the best label makers out there affordable, they are easy to use, allowing you to look professional without breaking your wallet.
Below we've listed the best label printers and label makers for home offices along with what makes them so great.
Dymo Embosser-Style Label Makers
Remember using an embosser style label maker with a rotary wheel for each letter as a kid? They still exist! This style of label maker presses each letter into the tape, leaving a raised, contrasting impression. Embosser-style label printers remain popular for tasks like labeling office supplies and organizing files.
The Dymo Express Pro keeps the embossing traditional alive with a convenient handheld design and intuitive turn-and-click labeling system -- no batteries or power source required. The Dymo Office Mate II updates this style even further, allowing you to print 3/8" and ½" labels with a jam-free cutter built-in.
Portable Tape Label Makers
The next category of label maker is the portable label maker. These small label makers typically run on AC power and batteries and use label tape cassettes. They are thermal transfer printers with the ribbon integrated into the label tape cassette for easy management. Compact QWERTY keyboards allow you to quickly enter text, while a small display helps you select fonts and font sizes.
Which is the best label maker in this category? Our top picks are:
- Dymo LetraTag 100T Plus Label Maker -- Having a QWERTY keyboard is excellent for entering text quickly. This model includes eight box styles, five font sizes, and seven print styles, making it a versatile label maker for many different projects. Its compact size and battery operation (4 AA batteries) mean it's perfect for projects throughout the house. Use the LetraTag 100T to print office organization labels, labels for your kitchen spices, hobby labels, circuit breaker labels, and more.
- Brother P-Touch PT-D600 Label Maker -- Sometimes you need a little more flexibility, and the PT-D600 delivers. The Brother label maker features a large color display that makes selecting fonts and creating labels with up to 7 lines of text easy, even in low light. What takes the Brother P-Touch D600 to the next level is its ability to connect to a PC or Mac computer. Thus, you can use it as a standalone portable label maker and create labels using its QWERTY keyboard, or you could connect it to your computer for even more control.
Handheld Tape Printers
Handheld tape printers are closely related to portable tape printers, but their configuration is slightly different. They are smaller and designed to fit in the hand with a compact keyboard and, in some cases, an integrated carrying handle.
The best label maker in this category would be one of the Epson LabelWorks or Dymo Rhino industrial handheld printers. If you need to print labels for your home office and job sites, having a rugged handheld label maker that can withstand dirt, dust, and drops is a must.
We especially like the following handheld LabelWorks and Dymo tape printers:
- Epson LabelWorks LW-PX900 Printer -- This Epson LabelWorks label maker comes with the best label printer warranties in the business: lifetime! It has a large LCD backlit display, QWERTY keyboard, and a rugged MIL-SPEC drop-tested body. It is perfect for printing up to 1.5-inch labels, barcodes, wire wraps, and more.
- Dymo Rhino 5200 Industrial Label Maker -- This Dymo tape printer is another outstanding and rugged choice. This is a fast label maker designed for industrial use cases like labeling cables and wires. It has a large, backlit display which makes it easy to use in any lighting conditions.
The best label maker depends on your specific needs. If you only need to print labels around your home office, the Epson LabelWorks or Dymo Rhino label makers may be overkill. In this case, one of the following handheld label makers would be a great choice:
- Dymo LabelManager 280 Handheld Label Maker -- This rechargeable label maker has one-touch fast formating keys, a QWERTY keyboard, a large display, and the ability to connect to a computer for even more control. The 280 is perfect for projects around the home or office.
- Brother P-Touch H110 -- Affordable, simple, and easy to use. This handheld label maker is perfect for a small office. It has a QWERTY keyboard and uses 6 AA batteries. If you prefer a powered option, an optional AC adapter is available.
Desktop Tape Printers
There's yet another category of tape printers to consider: desktop tape printers. These are intended to be used with a computer, tablet, or mobile device. They do not have integrated keyboards. Instead, you design the label using a dedicated labeling app and send it to the printer using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or a USB connection.
Desktop tape printers use label tapes just like portable ones. They are often elegant and compact in appearance because they lack a keyboard and display.
Which is the best label maker in this category? We love the following Epson, Brother, and Dymo desktop tape printers:
- Brother P-Touch Cube Plus PTP710BT -- The P-Touch Cube Plus prints up to 1-inch labels from smartphones, tablets, and PCs using Bluetooth or USB. It includes a built-in lithium-ion battery for printing labels virtually anywhere. Its small footprint and extreme portability make it the perfect label maker for home offices and small business owners.
- Dymo LabelManager Plug N Play -- Concerned about installing software and configuring a desktop printer? The Dymo LabelManager Plug N Play is the perfect "plug and play" label maker. It prints labels and barcodes from your Mac or Windows computer or tablet using Wi-Fi connectivity with no software required. Its lithium-ion battery recharges via USB, so you can print anytime, anywhere without using an AC adapter.
- Epson LabelWorks LW-Z5000PX -- This is the best label maker for high-volume home office label printing. If you need to print a lot of 2-inch labels, this is the ideal pick. Rather than relying strictly on standard label tape cassettes (which it is fully compatible with), the Epson LW-Z5000 PX printer can use larger bulk supply rolls (up to 147 feet long). An optional rewinder is available for this unit (sold separately), allowing you to print many labels and rewind them into a roll for future use. The LW-Z5000PX printer features USB and wireless connectivity. If you prefer a more portable design for your home office, consider the Epson LW-Z5010PX printer, which is nearly identical but comes with a QWERTY keyboard and color display.
Small Office Printers
Other great choices for home offices that do not use tape but rather label materials like paper and synthetic film labels are available. These small office printers use direct thermal technology to print shipping and office labels without ribbon or ink cartridges. They are compact and easy to use. Wireless and USB connectivity are typical. The best label printer options in this category include the following:
- Seiko Smart Label Printer 650 -- The Seiko SLP650 has been a best-selling small office printer for several years now. With a low price tag and simple design, it is ideal for home offices and small businesses that want a no-fuss label printer for printing address and shipping labels, file folder labels, employee name badges, and more.
- Brother QL-1100 Label Printer -- If you want to print up to 4-inch labels, the Brother QL-1100 is up to the task. The QL-1100 prints fast at up to 69 standard address labels per minute. The Brother QL-1100 uses drop-in Brother DK labels and is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
All of the printers discussed here are excellent choices for small business owners working out of a home office. The portable and handheld label makers are best for small business owners who want to print labels both at home and in the field without having to carry a bulky printer all day or find a power source. For those who prefer designing labels on the desktop, desktop tape printers and small label printers are ideal.
DuraFast Label Company has everything your home office needs to print labels of any type, including Dymo, Brother, Epson LabelWorks, and Seiko label makers, blank Dymo, Brother DK, Epson, or Seiko labels and label tapes, and various accessories. Whether you're in the market for an embossing label maker, portable label maker, handheld label maker, desktop tape printer, or small office printer, our team is here to help you find the best label printer for your specific home office needs.